Thursday, September 10, 2015

Throw it Away and Go Home: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Confusion never stops,
Closing walls and ticking clocks.
Gonna come back and take you home,
I could not stop that you now know.
Come out upon my seas,
Cursed missed opportunities.
Am I a part of the cure?
Or am I part of the disease?
You are, you are, you are.
~Coldplay

Before I get going on this post, I need to thank all the people I have stolen photographs from. It can be hard to chase down good photos. You cannot just tear a photo from anywhere you know.

Вот она



This is an old post I wrote quite a while ago. I am presenting it now as to clear out my old drafts and allow me move on to other projects on the blog. This post is presented in essence in its exact form from when I wrote it last December. Only slight modifications have been made to a few paragraphs. It may or may not contain current information.

What I write about here is by no means meant to be a new discovery, nor do I claim that the experiences related herein transcend in egregiousness that of other people. In truth, I am a bit hesitant to even use this post, as it seems pretty much just like a big complain and whine post. But, as stated in the first post on the blog, sometimes I just use this place as a catharsis center.

I begin with a prefacing story.

Back in 2012, I met this girl named Tex in a class I had. Her name is of course a code name and is short for the Textus Receptus. (I was writing a paper on the translation of the New Testament then). Now, this girl was not built to perform in the scholastic spectrum. Overall, she was a nice enough girl and had talents in other aspects of life, she just had no academic turgor. The poor girl possessed zero ability to stand in the pocket and deliver a pass. This ended up being a massive frustration since I wound up trying to help her get through the class we had together. However, she did not do homework on Saturdays, so this was naturally rather difficult. But, she did manage to pass the class. And then she let me know that she was not interested in having much contact with me.

It just so happened that as I was leaving town after this said semester that the song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2 came on the radio as I was crossing the city line. Sort of fitting.

I have climbed the highest mountains
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you
I have run, I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls
These city walls
Only to be with you.

But I still haven't found
What I'm looking for
But I still haven't found
What I'm looking for
~U2

This relates to children's literature. In the book Days With Frog and Toad, the two main characters attempt to fly a kite. At one point the phrase "Throw it away and go home" is uttered. Sometimes even now I think of that phrase.


As of late I have actually become a rather large believer in throwing things away and moving on to other venues. Most of you know where I went to school. I started school there nine years ago. And I have to say I reached a point where I became rather disenchanted with the social paradigm in the surrounding city (not a unique story of course). My people were consistently socially abused there. And I didn't appreciate it. But many of them have moved far away from there and have had success. The Beast, Mr. Melmac, El Toque, The Mamma.....they all threw it away and went home--then marched on to glory (so to speak) somewhere else. The interesting thing is that most casual observers thought these people somehow "failed" because they never embraced (or were embraced in) the prevailing social folds of the P-town in the Pleasant Valley. But these aforementioned people all have gone on to graduate degrees and have perhaps (dare I say) transcended what there, my former locale, could ever offer them. (Note that this is not a commentary on my former school, but rather the social strata that existed in the surrounding regions).

Now the message here is not that I think that moving to Alaska* will somehow jump start my life and I will end up marrying a young accountant/veterinarian/singer/attorney/beauty queen (all in one) and then also discover an untapped oil reservoir in my backyard. I would be totally fine with the girl only having a few of those jobs, and the oil money is really overkill. I do not require much. 

However, I do think that, given opportunity, it can be clarifying to move to a new place and see some new faces. Now this is a dangerous statement, as I recently have been prompted by some to actually meet new people now. And surprise! They know the "perfect girl for me." If I had a dollar for every time someone has told me that phrase, oil money would be pocket change. And I pretty much have zero motivation to try anything social now that I seem to be the only person in the entire city that is over age 25, not married, and still going to school (Okay, a vast over generalization). Although I did meet a girl once while we were volunteering somewhere together and she gave me a ride in her BMW. So I do participate in social expenditures occasionally. Very occasionally, that is.

Along those lines, I believe that my handlers have scheduled my next social expenditure for roughly May 14, 2016. Once this is approved on Leap Day next year, more details will be forthcoming. Consider arranging your schedules. Please do not wear lime green or yellow to the festivities, as it will clash horribly with the decor. Besides, white people do not look good in yellow.


For what it's worth.

As has been the common trend, my escapades with Miss BMW came to naught rather quickly once she realized that I was "strange."At first, she just took my inability to converse normally with someone of the opposite gender to indicate that I was not fluent at the language. This facade was quickly lifted.

Who knows, maybe some single woman out there is seeking for a curmudgeon/hermit/crazy with a vast amount of books on "Applications of Partial Differential Equations," "Lebesgue Measure and Stochastics," and "Homological Algebra." Perhaps one of you will have a night vision in relation to her. She can be the girl of your dreams. Literally. Maybe she will even let you ride in her BMW. Or her Honda. As long as she is not wearing yellow or lime green.

*To be clear, I have no current plans to move to Alaska.

1 comment:

  1. I dare say that you have now found what you're looking for. So desho?

    ReplyDelete